William Blount High School, located in Blount County, Tennessee, and named after the former Governor of the Southwest Territory and signer of the United States Constitution, opened its doors in 1979. Located on approximately 150 sprawling acres in East Tennessee, the school has a student population of approximately 1900.
The school is home to 107 highly-qualified teachers. All teachers assigned to William Blount High School are highly qualified according to No Child Left Behind (NCLB) guidelines. Parents have the right to check the licensing qualifications of teachers by visiting this website. We have six administrators, including one admin/athletic director, four counselors, a psychologist, and two nurses. 32% of the faculty hold bachelor degrees, 50% hold masters degrees, and 18% hold education specialists degrees.
William Blount has a football stadium that holds more than 5,000 fans. We have a freshman academy, three indoor basketball courts, eight tennis courts, two libraries, nine computer labs, and much more.
- ACT Composite: The average ACT composite score for WBHS students for 2015 was 20.86. This is significantly higher than the state average of 19.8 and ranks in the top 10 for the second year in a row when compared to all 40 high schools in the greater Knoxville area.
- In the 2014-2015 school year, WBHS had a positive average "school effect" in every state tested area. Of the 300+ high schools in TN, only 36 acheived this goal.
WBHS Learning Expectations for Students
The faculty and staff of William Blount High School have set high expectations for student learners. Regardless of the subject area, our students should demonstrate the following:
- Knowledge of subject matter
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Proficiency in applicable skills
- Responsible citizenship
William Blount High School graduates will be self-disciplined learners able to tackle the challenges of college, the workforce, and life in general while considering the rights and needs of others in the global community.